The Sicilian Pizza
Pizza is a staple in any Italian/ Sicilian Household. Once labelled as the poor man’s food. Pizza is now the #1 multinational favourite food. With so many customisations that suites just about anyone. You can have a simple yet elegant in flavour Margherita pizza, the all American BBQ chicken or even the good ole classic Pepperoni Pizza.
To those who love putting pineapple on pizza. Sorry but that’s just not right!
The recipe that we are going to show you will be an easy one that anyone can make at home with just basic equipment. I mean this is The Easy Homemade Pizza Recipe. But rest assured, just because it’s an easy recipe doesn’t mean it’s going to taste just good. It will taste FANTASTICO!
Making Pizza at home comes with plenty of benefits. From knowing what ingredients are included, to choosing how big you want the pizza to be. But also cost. You will save so much money making it from home that you will be making pizza all week long! The Sicilian Way is here to help. Now let’s follow this Easy Homemade Pizza Recipe.
Serving size: 4 – 6 people
The ingredients you will need:
Making the perfect Neapolitan dough recipe:
- 800g of 00- Flour (Normal flour is just as good so please dont worry)
- 512g of water
- 4g of active dry yeast
- 16g of fine sea salt
Making an elegant sauce recipe:
- Half Napolina Tomato Passata sauce carton
- 6g of table salt
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The Perfect toppings:
- Grated Cheese
- A drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil
- A strong pinch of Oregano
- A handful of some of the most beautifully marinated Olives
How to make the dough:
- Heat water to 35C
Add instant yeast, stirring together, and let sit for 5 minutes at room temperature.
In a large bowl, mix together 00- flour and fine sea salt.
Add all the water to the flour and mix by hand until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover with cling film and let sit for 20 minutes at room temperature.
Remove dough onto a work surface and knead using the slap and fold method for 1-2 minutes or until the dough starts to turn smooth.
Transfer the dough back to the bowl, cover, and let rest for 15 more minutes.
Slap and fold again for 1-2 minutes and place back into a bowl coated in extra virgin olive oil. Completely cover with cling film and fridge for 14-18 hours. (This might seem excessive but trust us, it’s worth it! If time is of the essence, then 1 hour should be perfect)
Punch all the air out of the dough. Divide dough into 5 even pieces (250 g each). Push out all the air and fold all the sides in before rolling into a taut ball seam side down. (You can use the extra dough for more incredible pizzas if you’re making more than one or use the dough for bread).
Add to a proofing box (or rimmed baking sheet dusted with flour), cover, and let proof at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
Making the Salsa Bellissimo:
- Pour your Napolina tomato sauce into a bowl.
- Peal and finely chop the garlic. Add garlic to the sauce.
- Add the salt to the Sauce
- Finally add your Extra Virgin Olive oil and mix until all ingredients have been stirred.
- Give it a taste. Make sure you have enough salt and garlic to your liking as this can be very personal.
Making the Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to max heat (Usually around 220C)
- Place your dough on your lightly floured worktop. Lightly flour the top of your dough ball and with your fist, punch down.
- Start spreading the dough with your knuckles. Top tip: don’t spread from the middle out as this will cause your dough to split in the middle. Spread the dough about 3 inches from the centre and push out until you can see a thicker edge building. Spread the dough making a 12 – 14 inch pizza base.
- Collect your Sauce and with a tablespoon spread your sauce around the pizza base to your liking.
- Collect your Grated cheese and spread it over the sauce. In my case the more cheese the better.
- Drizzle a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive oil on top and spread your Olives evenly around your Pizza.
- Insert your Pizza into the oven on the middle shelf for 10 – 14min tops.
- Your Pizza should have a beautifully crisp crust and base with lovely golden melted cheese and the smell of your enriched olives.
- Add your Oregano and basil for the finishing touch.
- The main thing now is to enjoy the Pizza you just made. Buon Appetito tutti.
BRAVISSIMO! You made an amazing Pizza from scratch in your own home. How was this Easy Homemade pizza recipe to follow? Now practice perfecting.
If you followed our recipe, please share with us how it went. Let us know if you changed anything in the recipe and share your toppings. We cannot wait to see it all! If you have used one of our products in your Pizza, share it with us. You may receive a free product to say thank you!
Don’t worry we’ll feature your incredible pizza on our website and Instagram! Let’s Cook!