The Focaccia Bread
Focaccia is a super simple bread to bake yet the creativity to make the perfect focaccia is so personal. Focaccia is a super popular bread made right across the region of Italy and Sicily with the most common toppings being salt, olive oil and rosemary.
The recipe we will show you below is a traditional recipe with ingredients you can get from any local shop. Making Focaccia at home gives you a ton of freedom to include the toppings that you love. Also saving you money and you get to say you’ve made Focaccia yourself!
For me, I’m adding Olives! but please add what you want for your Focaccia! The Sicilian Way is here to help. Now let’s follow the Recipe.
Serving size: 8 – 10 people
The ingredients you will need:
Making the perfect dough:
- 825g Bread Flour
- 150g Whole Wheat Flour
- 7g Instant yeast
- 20g of Fine Sea Salt
- 30g of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (preferably our Eulivo Olive Oil)
- 830ml of lukewarm water (heat to 35C)
The Toppings for your incredible Focaccia:
- A good pinch of Rock salt
- A fabulous pinch of Rosemary
- An Elegant drizzle of our Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A handful of some of the most deliciously marinated Olives
(Please don’t be nervous about the toppings. You can put tomatoes, pecorino cheese etc. Enjoy the creativity!)
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine the bread flour and whole wheat flour.
- To the side, mix warm water (35C) with instant yeast. Mix thoroughly.
- Using a dough hook attachment (Or your hand if you are doing this manually), mix on low speed while mixing in the yeasty water. Mix for 10 minutes (15 minutes if by hand). Scrape down the sides occasionally.
- Add fine sea salt and switch to medium-low speed and mix for an additional 10 minutes.
- While mixing add in extra virgin olive oil and mix for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Dump the dough out onto a non floured work surface. Knead using the slap and fold method for about 2 minutes.
- In a medium container, generously spray with oil along with a drizzle of olive oil. Toss the dough and cover with a greased lid.
- Place into the fridge for 48-72 hours. (We didn’t say it will be quick we said its going to taste good! Now if time is of the essence 3-6hrs would be ok in a quick situation)
- Grab a baking sheet pan and spritz with spray oil along with a glug of olive oil. Carefully remove the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Gently stretch the dough to the edges. Cover with an inverted baking sheet, wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to as high as your oven can go (In my case 220C)
- Using olive oil and any desired toppings, drizzle the top with oil and top with whatever spices or fillings desired. Sea Salt, Rosemary and Olives for me.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- The 14th step is to really enjoy your homemade Focaccia!
BRAVISSIMO! You made an amazing Focaccia bread from scratch in your own home. How was this Focaccia recipe to follow? Now practice perfecting.
If you followed our recipe, please share with us how it went. Let us know if you changed anything in the recipe and share your toppings. We cannot wait to see it all! If you have used one of our products in your Focaccia, share it with us. You may receive a free product to say thank you!
Don’t worry we’ll feature your incredible Focaccia bread on our website and Instagram! Let’s Cook!